Academy Member Inducted 2013Map & Directions
Regularly travels out of state to: District of Columbia, Florida, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, WisconsinOther ADR Services: Early Neutral Evaluation, Mini-Trial Judge
- Practice Commenced1989
- # of MEDS (as of 2/3/24)40
- # of ARBS (as of 2/3/24)30
Online / In-Person
- MANKATO-NEW ULM
- MINNEAPOLIS-ST PAUL
Philip L. Bruner, Esq. is one of the world's leading full-time arbitrators, mediators, and resolvers of construction, engineering, and infrastructure claims and disputes arising in the United States and globally, and is the Director of the JAMS Global Engineering and Construction panel of neutrals. He is a distinguished member of the panels of neutrals of both JAMS and JAMS International, and for more than 25 years prior to joining JAMS was a member of panels of arbitrators of other dispute resolution organizations. He is the co-author with Patrick J. O'Connor, Jr. of the twelve volume, 11,000 page treatise, Bruner and O'Connor on Construction Law, regarded as the most authoritative ever written on American law governing construction, and cited in more than 500 published opinions issued by federal appellate and district courts, state supreme and appellate courts, and U.S. Commonwealth and Territorial courts. He also lectures at conferences throughout the world, and has taught law school courses at the University of Minnesota Law School and the Mitchell-Hamline law schoolon construction law. He also lectures on the subject of international arbitration at the Univeraity of Stuttgart..
ADR Experience and Qualifications
As a neutral, Mr. Bruner’s experience includes numerous complex construction, engineering, and infrastructure disputes and claims arising throughout the United States and internationally in Canada, Central and South America, Europeand elsewhere, and aggregating many hundreds of millions of dollars generated on a wide variety of public and private projects. See his extensive bios and representative cases at www.jamsadr.com under "neutrals" and at www.philbruner.com.
- Contract Disputes
- Energy Sector (Oil/Gas)
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Real Estate
Mr. Bruner earned his Bachelor of Arts Degree in History from Princeton University, Juris Doctor Degree from the University of Michigan Law School and Masters in Business Administration Degree from Syracuse University.
After graduating from law school, Mr. Bruner served for three years to rank of Captain as a Judge Advocate in the U.S. Air Force, devoted forty years to the private practice of law with major law firms in Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota, and in 2008 became a full-time arbitrator and mediator and head of the JAMS Global Engineering and Construction panel of neutrals.
Memberships & Affiliations
- past President and Founding Fellow, The American College of Construction Lawyers
- Honorary Fellow, Canadian College of Construction Lawyers
- Fellow, International Academy of Construction Lawyers
- Chartered Arbitrator and Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (London)
- Member and Arbitrator, Britain's Society of Construction Arbitrators (London)
- Fellow, College of Commercial Arbitrators
- Certified Mediator, International Mediation Institute
- Chair of the Construction Industry Advisory Board of the ThomsonReuters/WestGroup Construction Contract Law Report
- Co-Chair of the Editorial Advisory Board of The Journal of The American College of Construction Lawyers
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of The International Construction Law Review published in London and distributed globally
- Chair of the Supreme Court of Minnesota Board of Continuing Legal Education, 1994-1998
- Member of the American Bar Association, International Bar Association, Inter-Pacific Bar Association, Minnesota Bar Association, and Wisconsin Bar Association
- Life Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- Panel of Neutrals,London Court of International Arbitration
- Panel of Neutrals, Institute of Energy Law
- Board Member, International Construction Law Association
- Advisory Board Member, Institute of Transnational Arbitration
- Mr. Bruner is vetted by International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers as one of the world’s leading construction lawyers, commercial arbitrators and commercial mediators He is included in The Best Lawyers in America , and is profiled in the Marquis Publications’ Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in American Law, and Who’s Who in the World .
Please contact my case manager at JAMS for details at 612-332-8225.